Pages

Sunday, August 13, 2023

PROF.JOHN KURAKAR -AN EPITOM OF VIRTUES

 

PROF.JOHN KURAKAR

 -AN EPITOM OF VIRTUES

O. Mathukutty, New-Delhi



 

Around 15 years ago, precisely in the year 2008 when I shifted my residence to Kizhakketheruvu, my home town after my various assignments in the Central Government Departments in Delhi, I was unknown to many and even to my classmates of St. Gregorios College of 1965-67 batch. It was a melancholy in my post- retirement life. I had no idea as to how to spend a few hours a day in any creative way.

 

As luck would have it, one day one of my junior students in the College told me about a tour program of the SG College Alumni to Trivandrum when I  was not an Alumni member too, he gave me the mobile number of Prof. John Kurakar. I then thought, a group tour would make a difference and I might come in touch with some of my batchmates. Immediately I called Prof Kurakar on phone and introduced me. The maiden call to him surprised me the way he treated me, the ettiquetts he had shown and also invited me to the tour, even not being an Alumni member.

 

The friendship grew faster and I felt I was out of woods. He suggested me to come to teaching and made arrangements for it. Teaching, that I have been engaged in since 1967 took me back to my own interest and it continues even todate. A past-time that I have been engaged even during my official assignments in Delhi, makes me happy. It wouldn't have happened to me in Kerala had Prof Kurakar been not the guide and encouragement. I owe him all my life.

 

As mentioned before, our association progressed spectacularly and we became closer and closer, making me an invitee to all the programs he conducted directly or indirectly. We worked in tandem and never looked back. The only gap we had in our association was when he was hospitalised at the various intervals.

 

The book authored by him "Good morning Doctor " is very thought-provoking and I completed reading it in a record time of four hours. His offer to me for its translation to English stands good and, God Willing, I shall initiate it as he gives the green signal.

 

The virtues in him are inexplainable. You name it and he has it. Soft spoken, caring, eloquent but measurably immaculate, a great organiser, a powerful orator with vast understanding, a good friend, a good samaritan et al, he is.

 

On his seventieth year, I from my bottom of heart, wish him many more meaningful years to the society.

With warm regards.

 

O. Mathukutty

No comments: